APCUG Web Site
Index for this issue
Default font size|
Large font size
This solution allows different user groups to come to APCUG events. Discussions are ongoing to offer events around the world as user groups show interest in hosting a local event. APCUG is willing to work with the user groups who would like to offer these regional events in their area. If interested, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To start the ball rolling, the first regional event was in Region 1 on May 17-18, 2008 and everyone agrees it was a big success. It was the first meeting of Eastern Regional Groups in over 10 years. It was held at the Palisades Center Mall in West Nyack, NY which is one of the largest in the US and located 30 miles north of New York City. The Mall has many restaurants of all types, shops, department stores, movie theaters, a bowling alley and ice skating rink for all enjoy. In addition, it’s location near major highways gives it easy access to many places in the area and the parking is free and plentiful. There were national hotel and motel rooms within a few minutes of the Mall to fit any budget and we were able to arrange special APCUG rates for those who booked early.
The $49 early bird registration fee ($60 for non APCUG members) included breakfast and lunch for two days as well as a MLDC welcome bag, cap and T-shirt. Thanks to our generous vendors, all attendees received more than ten times their registration fee in products while many lucky attendees received even more when you add in the raffle prizes they won.
They “Trained the Leaders” by teaching new ideas that are easy to implement in your club. Attendees learned what has worked for others and exchanged ideas. This is an area of interest to all.
Scott Moore (AI Squared) and James Martin (Reallusion) discussed their products.
Our host Hank Feinberg (RPCUG) and Chris St. Lawrence (Rockland County) officially welcomed us. Sam Wexler (APCUG Region 1 Advisor) talked about increasing membership and what actually worked for his and other user groups.
Dick Kranz (MHCUG) told us how to promote our groups for free. Attorney Jerry Goldstein (TPCUG) told us how to run our group like a business and discussed the legal issues in running a club. Laura Seamon from the IRS told us how the new tax laws affect all clubs. Robert Limbaugh (DACS) discussed his Focus Group findings on membership.
Hank Feinberg told us how community service projects build membership. Sam Wexler discussed using Mac and other technologies to increase membership, Len Ginsburg (NYPC) showed us how to put on a PC radio and TV show. Then through the miracle of technology we all saw Don Singleton (APCUG Vice President) who was in Tulsa, Oklahoma and he saw us as a Webinar was simulated. Dick Kranz ended the presentation part of the day by a brainstorming session to recap the day.
The day ended by a vender fair with demonstrations of product, software and valuable giveaways for all attendees from Microsoft, AI Squared, Pinnacle, Reallusion, Magix, Infobrella and Click-Free as well as Smart Computing, PC Magazine and MacLife Magazines and other vendors.
Heather Little (Pinnacle) started the day with a presentation on Pinnacle’s products. Richard Nayman (WPCUG) officially welcomed us. Mark Hoops (NYS Assistant Attorney General) warned us about online predators. Jay Ferron (APCUG President) talked about home server, wireless, internet telephony and VOIP. Bill James (APCUG Director) discussed fund raising ideas for your group. Bernell Frank (United Cerebral Palsy) gave a presentation about technology related assistance for individuals with disabilities. Steven Lindsey (Microsoft) gave a powerful demo showcasing the Windows experience. The final speaker of the day was Jay Ferron who told us what APCUG can do for our groups. Sam Wexler ended the day with final comments and when he asked his signature closing question: “Did you learn at least one thing?”, the answer was yes and a lot more.
Hours after the conference ended, a short online survey was sent to all attendees and 97% said they would definitely or probably come to a similar conference next year if one was held. The other 3% did not know. The best way have a similar conference next year is to send an email to email@example.com and let us know you want one.