APCUG Web Site
Index for this issue
Default font size|
Large font size
On Tuesday, May 27th Mary Phillips of HFH was our guest speaker for the evening. Habitat for Humanity of Schenectady County, Inc is a locally run affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International, a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing organization. Habitat for Humanity works in partnership with people in need to build and renovate decent, affordable housing. The houses then are sold to those in need at no profit and with no interest charged.
Volunteers provide most of the labor, and individual and corporate donors provide money and materials to build Habitat houses. Partner families themselves invest hundreds of hours of labor - “sweat equity” - into building their homes and the homes of others. Their mortgage payments go into a revolving Fund for Humanity that is used to build more houses
Several projects are underway in Schenectady. There are many ways to help. Go to http://www.hfhi.org for more information on Habitat’s history, mission, volunteer opportunities and contact information for other Habitat affiliates around the world.
We recently had something different for one of our meetings. Larry Cohen compiled questions describing sometimes perplexing situations while using your computer whose solutions may not be well-known. He asked the audience if they know the answers and then discussed or demonstrated each. Here were some of his questions:
1) Q. How can you easily get the phone number for an internet company? E.g. yahoo.com, amazon.com, etc.
2) Q. You have an open window that’s stuck out of view. How do you get it back?
3) Q. How can you protect yourself from forgetting your logon password in windows?
4) Q. Supposing you did not protect yourself per question 3). What now?
5) Q. How can you make Windows alert you if the Caps Lock or Num Lock keys are accidentally pressed?
6) Q. You installed the wrong driver for a device you already installed. How do you remove it?
7) Q. Supposing you have hyphenated words or names that must stay together on the same line, but you reach the end of the line and Word wants to split them up. How do you ensure they stay together? [E.g.- Mr. Woodward-Jones, III.]
8) Q. In Word, how do you create a table or box with measurements in Inches? For example, if you want to make a box that measures 2 ½” by 4”. How you I do it?
9) Q. If you lost the volume control on the Taskbar, how can you recover it?”
10) Q. You’re printing a large document, and midway through the task stops. Clicking cancel or restart in the print dialog box does not help. What do you do?
11) Q. How do you find a good restaurant in your neighborhood or elsewhere?
12) Q. When examining Internet errors that contain three-digit numbers that begin with the number four, such as 401, 404, or they begin with the number five, such as 500, what is the most important difference for the computer user.
At their June meeting, Ed Fitzgerald, CTPC member, and Technical Support person at Coldwell Banker Westport demonstrated the software, processes used, narration and sharing of virtual Tours used in real estate marketing and sales efforts. Perhaps this idea would work for your User Group.